East Palo Alto
The Ravenswood City School District (RCSD) in San Mateo County is a unique academic environment that draws from the culturally rich communities of East Palo Alto and East Menlo Park.
RCSD serves over 4,000 students in kindergarten through eighth grade in eight elementary schools and a child development center.
In East Palo Alto, two out of every three students are not graduating from high school. Here are some other statistics about the community:
- Median household income is 45% lower than the average in San Mateo County
- 60% of men between the ages of 15 to 30 have already entered the criminal justice system
- Over 40% of the students are raised by a single mother
- Almost 50% of residents are foreign born, many without English as a primary language at home
- 85% of students test below grade level proficiency in English; 75% below grade level in Math
- English Learners — 69%
- Students on Free or Reduced Meal Plan — 90%
Schools We Serve
CASSY began our partnership with the Ravenswood City School District in June 2009 with a districtwide summer counseling program. In the fall of 2010 we contracted with Costaño School & the 49er Academy to deliver a comprehensive mental health program. We expanded to Ronald McNair Academy in the fall of 2012. In 2014, we added Cesar Chavez & Green Oaks Academy, Willow Oaks School and East Palo Alto Charter School.
At these schools, we provide the following services:
- Individual, Group & Family Therapy
- Crisis Intervention & Treatment
- Anti-Bullying Workshops
- Staff Support & Training
- Parent Consultation
- Community Outreach
For a qualitative assessment, CASSY sends surveys to students, parents and school staff to rate our services at the end of the year.
- “Counseling was helpful and helped me not get as mad as before.”
- “CASSY helped me with myself and my family.”
- “They helped me realize what was right and what was wrong.”
- “CASSY helped me control myself.”
- “The counseling was so good for my son.”
- “CASSY program is a much needed service to help families with all emotional situations that arise and they are very good at what
- “The support is great and I believe the concern displayed is genuine. I don’t know where my daughter would be without this service. Thank you.”
- “My daughter started acting so much better at home.”
- “Thank you for bringing sunshine to our students.”
- “I’m glad we have CASSY. The support to students and staff is excellent.”
- “Willing to support any student who needed their help.”
- “Thank you for your support! It truly benefitted out students.”